Here you will find an endless number of college resources! This College Corner will be updated frequently, so be sure to come back and check out new links and announcements!
**(please note these events are for Maspeth students and families only)**
1. Maspeth Fall College Fair - On Friday, 10/12, Maspeth will be hosting its Fall College Fair from 12:30pm - 2:30pm, in the gym. The fair will run on a C Day schedule, giving more students an opportunity to attend the fair.
2. Fall FAFSA Night - Friday 11/02, 6:30pm - 8:30pm in the school library
The next phase of the college application process will be completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). As per new standards, the application goes live October 1st, 2018. Each college has its own deadline to submit it by (students should look up deadlines for their chosen colleges), but most schools want it no later than February 15th.
In order to assist with this process, Maspeth will be hosting a FAFSA completion workshop on Friday, November 2nd, from 6:30pm – 8:30pm in our school library, room 214. Michael Turner from HESC (Higher Education Services Corp) and volunteers from the Ridgewood YMCA will be present to help students and families complete and submit the FAFSA application. If you are interested in attending, please email Ms. Delgado in order to keep an accurate headcount.
In order to complete the application, students and their families will need the following documents:
- Social Security Cards
- US Permanent Resident Card (if non-citizen)
- Parent and/or Student Income Tax Information from TWO years prior
- 2016 Federal 1040/A/EZ, 2016 W-2 forms. (Bring the entire file)
- Records of untaxed income, such as child support received, interest income, food stamps, etc.
- Information on cash, savings and checking account balances
- Investments, including stocks, bonds, real estate
- Excludes retirement accounts, value of primary residence
Additionally, in order to electronically sign this application, both students and a parent/guardian must create a FSA ID (Federal Student Aid ID) which requires a working email address. (you can take care of this beforehand to save time, at the link below):