It is important that you review the admission requirements for each school prior to asking a teacher for a letter of recommendation. It is possible that the school(s) to which you are applying do not require a letter of recommendation.
Use the link below to learn about specific recommendation letter requirements per college:
PRIOR TO REQUESTING A RECOMMENDATION LETTER VIA NAVIANCE
- From the Naviance homepage, click on the “colleges” link in the upper right hand corner, then click the “colleges homepage” link under the “colleges” section.
- Click on “Letters of Recommendation” in the “Apply to Colleges” section.
- Click on “Add Request”. You can only request a recommendation from one teacher at a time. Therefore, you will need to complete separate requests for each teacher from whom you are seeking a recommendation. Click the drop down box to find the teacher who will be writing your letter of recommendation.
- Choose “all current and future colleges”, unless a school to which you are applying limits the number of letters of recommendations it will accept. In that circumstance, you need to choose specific schools to which your recommendation(s) will be sent.
- In the “Personal Note to Teacher” box you should thank your teacher for taking the time to write a letter for you. You can also include any specifics that you want mentioned in your letter. Click “Submit Request” to send your teacher recommendation request.
IMPORTANT: If your application requires a counselor recommendation, please notify your counselor via email or in person, as they are not listed in the selection of teachers. Requests for letters of recommendation from a counselor should be made at least two weeks prior to the application deadline.